Can Cats Drink Alcohol? Is It Toxic Or Safe?

Can Cats Drink Alcohol

Can cats drink alcohol?

In short, No!

Cats are susceptible to ethanol, one of the critical ingredients for most alcoholic beverages.

Consuming alcohol can lead to some serious health problems such as vomiting, lethargy, nausea, and even death.

But the toxicity depends on the ingested amount, breed and weight of your cat; for example, if your cat takes a sip or just lick an alcoholic beverage, he/she will probably be fine.

The problem occurs when it goes beyond that; cats can’t tolerate ethanol and quickly develops alcohol toxicity causing the digestive issue, liver damage and kidney failure in some cases.

Thus alcohol is poisonous for cats, but what you can do to keep your felines safe?

Let’s learn more about alcohol and its consequences.

Also Read: Can Cats Drink Coffee?

Can Cats Drink Alcohol?

No, cats shouldn’t drink alcohol as it’s not safe for cats!

Alcohol is highly toxic for felines, and if your cat drank or sip alcohol, it’s likely to circulate within their body without detoxification.

Cats can easily be poisoned by alcohol due to ethanol, the primary ingredient for a most alcohol brand.

And the toxicity depends on the breed and size of the cat; for example, overweight cat, kitten and indoor cats are expected to suffer from the effects of alcohol poisoning quickly than healthy cat.

Your cat may experience the symptoms of alcohol poisoning like vomitinglethargysedationoverexcitedstagger and dehydration within 30 minutes after it’s being ingested.

Besides, excessive alcohol may cause kidney failure within 12 to 24 hours after intake of alcohol.

Thus, if you notice these symptoms in your feline friend, immediately call your vet for diagnoses and treatment.

What Happens If You Give A Cat Alcohol?

First of all, never, I repeat, never give your cat alcohol or anything that has alcohol in it; it’s highly dangerous.

Similar to humans, you may see behavior changes in your feline once they have ingested alcohol.

Usually, cats may act overexcited or drowsy, but if your cat has ingested a good amount of alcohol, it can cause;

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Lethargy
  • No consciousness
  • Respiratory issues
  • Thirsty
  • Kidney and Liver failure
  • Collapse

Your furball may experience the symptoms of alcohol poisoning within 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the breed, age and weight and on the amount he/she has ingested.

Apart from beverages, your cat can get ethanol poisoning from other sources such as perfume, dye, mouthwash, cleaning items and specific medicines.

Thus, to prevent facing problems with ethanol poisoning, keep all beverages, mouthwash, medicines, detergent, and other alcohol-infused items out of your cat’s reach.

Related: Can Cats Drink Tea?

Can Alcohol Kill A Cat?

Yes, it has the potential to take the life of your felines!

Whereas a few drops it not going to kill your cat, but if your cat manages to drink more than that, it could cause serious illness or even fatal.

Can Alcohol Kill A Cat

According to PetMd, alcohol isn’t safe for felines, as they not only get drunk but also damages their liver and brain.

A tiny sip of alcohol can put your cat in coma, lethargy, nausea, and dehydration and exceeding the quantity leads to death.

Thus, to keep your felines safe, keep anything that has alcohol out of their reach. Whatever you do, sure you store them in a safe and secure place where it’s impossible to reach for your kitty.

How Bad is Alcohol for Cats?

Alcohol is extremely harmful to us, but what about cats? Is it similarly toxic to them as well?

Yes, alcohol is poisonous for cats and exposure to alcohol can lead to several health problems such as vomiting, dehydration, low body temperature, and liver, kidney issues.

The ethanol in alcohol is so bad that it has the potential to take the life of your feline friend.

Any alcoholic beverage, such as wine, beer, vodka, or rum, can have noticeable effects on your cat within 30 minutes to one hour after the consumption.

Even a tiny amount of ethanol can quickly devastate a cat’s filtration systems, resulting in kidney and liver damage and even far worse consequences.

Thus, if you suspect your can happens to consume alcohol, the first thing is to call your vet and inform him immediately. The sooner your cat gets the treatment, the better chances are to prevent critical conditions.

Can You Give Cat Vodka?

Not really!

Cats and alcohol aren’t made for each other, they are highly sensitive, and even a few sips of alcohol could lead to serious health problems.

Vodka, primarily made with fermented grains and potato, has about 40% of alcohol.

For cats, vodka has enough ethanol to cause poisoning, affecting the central nervous system causing drowsiness, overexcited and out of consciousness.

And if the dose is high, it can lead to respiratory failure, and there are high chances that you might lose your feline friend.

How Much Alcohol is Toxic to Cats?

It varies from cats to cats!

On average, a teaspoon of alcohol is enough to put your felines in trouble, depending on the size, breed and age.

It also depends on the type of beverage she has consumed, for example, beer being the weakest with 5% alcohol, wine (11%-13%) and whiskey (40%).

In addition, if your cat consumes alcohol on an empty stomach, it’s likely to affect quicker and possibly cause more damage.

Cats are expert in hiding illness, but if your furball has alcohol poisoning, you can identify it by observing your cat closely. 

Symptoms that you should look in your cats for ethanol poisoning are:

  • Vomiting
  • Irregular urination
  • Dehydration
  • Imbalanced and drowsy
  • Lethargy
  • Difficulty in breathing

If your furball has recently drunk alcohol, it will take few hours to show the signs of ethanol poisoning. 

Thus, if you suspect that your cat might have consumed alcohol or even came into its contact, immediately contact your vet as delaying might worsen the condition.

My Cat Drank Alcohol, What Should I Do?

My Cat Drank Alcohol, What Should I Do

First of all, don’t act out of panic!

If you got to know that your cat has ingested alcohol, it’s crucial to take actions wisely.

There are several things you can do to save your feline friend.

Usually, when a cat ingests alcohol, they likely to show the symptoms of ethanol poisoning within one to two hours. 

The foremost thing you should do is call your vet immediately and inform him/her about the situation.

Your vet may want to know the type of alcohol your feline has ingested, the quantity, and the health condition of your cat.

If possible, bring a sample of the alcohol with you; it will help faster the diagnose process.

Depending on the situation, your vet will start the treatment, including an activated charcoal solution to induce vomiting, provide fluid to prevent dehydration, cardiac therapy or even medicines to reduce ethanol from your cat’s body.

Final Thoughts

So, by now, you must have got an idea that how toxic is alcohol. Thus, to keep your felines safe and secure, keep all alcohol-based items, for example, beverages, paints, detergents, dyes, medicines, and bug sprays, out of their reach.

Providing a nutritious diet is very important for felines, and some foods that are healthy for us could be highly toxic to cats, such as honeyporkcashew or dates.

Thus, if you have anything harmful or toxic for cats, make sure everything is appropriately stored as cats are curious, and they might find it and put themselves into trouble

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *