Every living creature on this planet needs some specific nutrients to keep their life going without any malfunction. You should always take care of your pets as nicely as you do the same for yourselves.
So, one day you found that your cat is not drinking enough water and you got worried and thinking how long can a cat go without water?
In short, cats can indeed go without water for some time depending on various factors but you should not let them stay without water for a longer period because it makes them dehydrated.
Cats are quite precious creatures. So, as a cat owner you should take care of your little cute family member.
It is very important that you provide them sufficient quality foods and enough water to keep them healthy.
However, your cat might have experienced a very long term illness or even a hurtful demise due to dehydration.
So, we are going to talk about how long can cats go without water.
How Long Can a Cat Go without Water?
An average pet cat can go easily without having water for a few days.
It can survive well if there is a proper source of water in the house for it, even in any case you forget to keep food for it and leave the house for a few days.
Nonetheless, it can be very fatal for your cat if it does not get to have water for a week. It will die.
Always remember that water is more important for a cat than food in such cases. So, what happens if they go out of water for a longer time?
In such an unfortunate case, your cat will go through a hepatic failure and the mass of muscle will experience catabolism. This results in a painful and gradual death.
Cats Need Water just like Any Other Animals
Both indoor and outdoor cats need regular nutrition and fluids to get a longer life healthily. A cat should drink water every day.
Skipping meals and water is very harmful to them. Unfortunately, we cannot usually force kitties to eat or drink. A good try can hardly go effortlessly.
Here is a very important thing to note – undomesticated cats can go without food or water for long for the life they lead but it is not the case for the pet cats.
So, if one of you comes up with a question asking how long a cat can go without water, the answer cannot be generalized.
How Much Water An Adult Cat Needs?
The usual thing is to keep a bowl full of water when the day starts and the cat drinks from the bowl whenever it feels thirsty.
But knowing how much water your cute snowflake needs is very important. Here are some key factors on which the water intake of cats depends.
1. Size is the primary thing. It is quite understandable that small kittens would consume less water than the grown-ups.
2. Another very important thing is the food your cat is eating. Cats eating dry foods require more water compared to the ones having canned cat food or other wet food. As they contain 80% water, they do not need to drink much water separately.
3. Also, a cat must consume at least 2 to 4 ounces of water on top of the meal it eats.
4. Cats are active animals and they do not sleep every time. So, they need water.
5. Drinking a proper amount of water makes your cat look smooth, shiny, without any flakes, and completely healthy.
6. Cats urinate very often.
That was enough information regarding the factors depending on which your cat drinks water.
Now that you know these, let us know about how long can cats go without water.
But, before we jump straight to that section, here are some points on the symptoms that can reveal that your cat is not drinking enough water.
What Will Happen If Your Cat Stops Drinking Water?
Just like every other living being, cats require the proper quantity of water to be active and fit.
Therefore, it is quite usual to see negative effects on cats if they drink too little or their body gets less water.
You might not even notice whether your cat is getting enough water or not and you might get panic attacks seeing any illness in your cats and not even understand what is the root of the problem.
Not knowing what to do in such a situation would make you more puzzled than ever.
1. Dehydration is a very common result if your cat does not drink a proper amount of water. It happens when your cat urinates frequently even if it does not get enough water.
So, they lose a lot of fluid from their body along with some important minerals and this can even be fatal for the cat.
2. Constipation is another thing to be seen if your cat gets dehydrated.
3. Dehydration causes vomiting and their gums also turn very dry.
4. Dehydration in cats makes them more moody and very sluggish.
5. A dehydrated cat may pant often.
What You Can Do To Increase The Water Intake of Your Cat?
By now, if you have been wondering how long can cats go without water, you know that they can go without water for a few days.
Now, in case you see the symptoms of dehydration in your cat, here are some easy curing tips to avoid fatality.
- After every 10 minutes, give your cat a small amount of Pedialyte for at least about 1 hour. It should drink liquid.
- Adding warm water in the cat food can be a good help.
- Provide Pedialyte and diluted cat meal throughout the day alternatively.
- In case it throws up the meal, let it lick ice chips the whole day.
- If you find out that the case is critical, take it to a nearby vet immediately.
Keep a Regular Watch
Always keep an eye on your cat’s daily meal and water intake. Intake of proper nutrients and water makes your cat live a longer life and also reduces its chances to go through any sort of illness.
Owning a cat is a lot of responsibility. Water is essential for everyone’s survival and so is for cats.
From now on, if you are going out and cannot take your kitty with you. Make sure that you keep a few bowls full of water around the house along with some meals by them.
It automatically reduces the chances of it going dehydrated. Take care of them and be very careful about the symptoms.
Start taking steps as soon as you see any symptoms.